Thursday 8 March 2018

REVIEW: The City of Brass by S.A. Chakraborty




Among the bustling markets of eighteenth century Cairo, the city’s outcasts eke out a living swindling rich Ottoman nobles and foreign invaders alike.

But alongside this new world the old stories linger. Tales of djinn and spirits. Of cities hidden among the swirling sands of the desert, full of enchantment, desire and riches. Where magic pours down every street, hanging in the air like dust.

Many wish their lives could be filled with such wonder, but not Nahri. She knows the trades she uses to get by are just tricks and sleights of hand: there’s nothing magical about them. She only wishes to one day leave Cairo, but as the saying goes…

Be careful what you wish for.

Claire's Review ⭐⭐⭐

The City of Brass is about Nahri, a thief living on the streets of Cairo who has hidden healing powers. She tricks rich nobles and steals from them, until one day she accidentally manages to summon Dara, an ancient Dijin Warrior, who whisks Nahri away to the city Daevbad.

When I heard about this book and read the blurb I was very excited as it sounded perfect for me and I had very high expectations. These expectations may have ruined this book for me, as it didn't quite reach them. Don't get me wrong I enjoyed the story, although I found it very slow in parts and it took me quite a while to read it, but it just didn't hit the bar for me. I may have to do a re-read in a few months times to see if there is more I can take in as I feel as if I have missed some parts that may be important to the story. The description and the setting of this book is one of the best and more detailed settings I have read in a book and really helps with the story as it plays in your head.

Overall, I really wanted to love this book. I liked it but I just felt that something was missing. Saying that I will definitely be reading the second book to see how things continue.

No comments:

Post a Comment