Thursday 19 October 2017

Release & Review: Why Mummy Drinks by Gill Sims

Get through October half-term with the highly-anticipated, laugh-out-loud debut novel from the author who created the online sensation ‘Peter and Jane’


HarperCollins, 19th October, Hardback, £12.99
by Gill Sims
WHY MUMMY DRINKS
The diary of an exhausted mum

In 2016, Gill Sims introduced us to an exhausted Mummy, Boy Child Peter, Girl Child Jane, Daddy and a very judgy dog and now she brings us her debut novel. It’s embarrassingly relatable. It’s funny. And it’s just a little bit sweary…
It’s now Mummy’s 39th birthday. She is staring down the barrel of a future of people asking if she wants to come to their advanced yoga classes, and polite book clubs where everyone claims to be tiddly after a glass of Pinot Grigio and says things like ‘Oooh gosh, are you having another glass?’
But Mummy does not want to go quietly into that good night of women with sensible haircuts who ‘live for their children’ and stand in the playground trying to trump each other with their offspring’s extracurricular achievements and boasting about their latest holidays.
Instead, she clutches a large glass of wine, muttering ‘FML’ over and over again. Until she remembers the gem of an idea she’s had…
Get through October half-term with the highly-anticipated, laugh-out-loud debut novel from the author who created the online sensation ‘Peter and Jane’

Gill Sims is the author and illustrator of the hugely successful parenting blog and Facebook site ‘Peter and Jane’ which in just over a year has amassed an incredible 346,000 followers. She lives in Scotland with her husband, two children and a recalcitrant rescue Border Terrier, who rules the house. Gill’s interests include drinking wine, wasting time on social media, trying and failing to recapture her lost youth and looking for the dog when he decides to go on one of his regular jaunts.


Claire's Review ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

When I received this book I was so eager that I put down the book I was already reading and jumped straight in! I follow the facebook blog and wasn't aware there would be a book until I received a copy but all I can say is that every mum needs to read this book!

This book is written in the form of a diary and follows Ellen, a middle-class working mother, and her crazy family life, with her two children Peter and Jane and her husband Simon. Only a few pages in and I swear this woman has had secret cameras up inside my house as it sounds exactly like my life and the struggles I have, being a mum to three girls. In fact, I don't think that any mum out there could read this and not see similarities to their own lives!

Well written and hilarious and I couldn't put it down! Not many books make me physically laugh out loud and repeat chapters to my husband but this one did. I love books that I feel that I can relate to and this kept me hooked and laughing the whole way through! I will definitely be recommending this to all my mum friends who I think would have a giggle reading it as well!

A perfect read to help pass the time during the school holidays and make light of day to day life!


No comments:

Post a Comment